Forums | Acellus Academy

Ask Our Official Support Team /
International Students?

Jeff G's profile picture

20 December 2021, 18:41

Hi. I am thinking of enrolling my child in Acellus. Do you accept students from outside the U.S. for your high school diploma program? Also, are international students eligible for the Roger Billings scholarship program? Thanks in advance.

Jeff Harpe's profile picture

20 December 2021, 19:26

Welcome from another Jeff who lives overseas.

Yes, to both: you can enroll and qualify for the Roger Billings Scholarship from overseas. That's how we're doing it. One downside is its a little bit slower to get replies from learning coaches (the teaching assistants who monitor the student questions) who are either off work or in bed when we're online. You get use to it. Another is that they also don't ship things from their school store overseas for whatever reason, so you have to do without, which isn't a terribly big deal. I want one of those Gold Book Pros for my ever-goofing off son, but they don't ship outside the US and Canada for some reason, no explanation given.

Jeff G's profile picture

20 December 2021, 20:19

Hi, Jeff. Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I am an expat and live abroad as well (obviously.) But, now that my daughter is older, I want her to have an American high school education. Acellus looks pretty good, and it seems to be one of the more affordable options. She loves science, so getting her to watch the weekly videos will be easy. If they don't ship outside the U.S. or Canada, I guess the official school ID is not an option (that would be nice for some of the weird educational things here where I am.) But, not a deal breaker for sure. Once again, thank you so much for replying. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Jeff Harpe's profile picture

21 December 2021, 6:07

Language has been a problem for us. Through grade six, my son took all his classes in the Chinese language in a Chinese school and so transitioning to an English language school has him significantly behind grade level.

The Middle School ESL class is way too easy for him while the Grade Three English is about right. Other middle school classes in science and social studies he refuses to take unless I'm sitting there next to him to both dumb it down for him and ensure he's not goofing off. He mostly understand the teacher, especially if we put the transcripts on the bottom and he translates words he doesn't know, but he can't read the multiple choice questions and answers, I have to do that for him. Meanwhile, all he ever wants to do on his own is take math and Computer Programming classes, so he's way avanced there, halfway through Geometry (the equivelent of grade ten).

4 results