Forums | Acellus Academy

Ask Our Official Support Team /

Diana Folino's profile picture

25 January 2022, 21:23

I was talking with my sons counselor as I was explaining I had enrolled him in accellus and I was asked if the curriculum supported the 1619 project. Where would I find out this information? 

Jeff Harpe's profile picture

28 January 2022, 21:03

I can only speak to the High School level, where the school does not teach the 1619 project. It's neither a conservative nor a liberal school. The school doesn't seem to promote any political agenda, the teachers are professional about things. I get the sense that Mr. Edmund leans left and Dr. Monet leans right but they are both on the up-and-up. There are no activists of any stripe here trying to indoctinate your kids.

As a right leaning parent, I sometimes grit my teeth with Mr. Edmund, but that's picky and tacky as I recognize that he's clearly far more dedicated to being impartial and even-handed. He does an excellent job at that and I have every confidence in him. If I were to teach history, it would be filtered through my own right wing perspective and biases but I would hope I could set that aside and be as neutral, nonpartisan, and professional about it as he does coming from a left of center perspective.

Diana Folino's profile picture

29 January 2022, 16:48

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate your response and your candidness. My son recently started taking his 11th grade classes through Acellus after dropping out to get his GED.  I was thankful to find Acellus and his interest in high school has increased with the classes so far. It would be disappointing if he would have to change schools. Although I should've researched more ahead of time, I was just thrilled when he wanted to go back to school.

Jeff Harpe's profile picture

03 February 2022, 8:45

Before signing up, my instinct was to select an online school that would expliciltly enculcate my views, values, and beliefs. It would be inaproprate to drop names of other online schools I had been looking at in Acellus' forum, but at the time this wasn't my first preference.

It occurs to me that Acellus has one eye focused on appealing to homeschoolers, who skew heavily right and the other focused on public school boards who skew heavily left. And so they try to chart a middle route. A school that would have suited me better, maybe is one that explicitly proclaims "we are a traditional, Catholic, patriotic school, academically rigorous and all our faculty are chosen because they conservative to the core." It would appeal to me better than one that maintains a balance and doesn't participate in the culture wars of the day.

What sold me on Acellus was a combination of the incredibly generous Roger Billings scholarship being available, and the clear science/math/computer focus of the school. From there, realizing they weren't teaching the 1619 project was good enough. What I've learned in the ensuing months since, I've been really impressed with the quality of the education available and students being able to set their own pace. One gripe I have is that their policies and practices promote grade inflation. While the teaching is wonderful, and the quality and rigor of the material itself is high as well, I find the grading policy to be far too generous.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied and recommend this school highly.

4 results