Forums | Power Homeschool

Ask Our Official Support Team /
Is there a way I can set holidays/days-off for my students?

14 October 2022, 13:25

We typically give our students days off that we have off, so we can do things together on those days.  Other times the days off line up with our local public school breaks.  Not everyone is going to have the same holidays off as well, so it doesn't really make sense that Acellus would set the calendar for everyone.

When we have a day off, it messes up the "accounting" (number of lessons remaining for each course) for the entire week.  If we have a Monday off for example, and school starts on Tuesday, our students cannot use the Score/Goals gold stars to know when they are finished for the day because they are always about days worth of lessons short of completing goals.

The Progress tab is something that they tend to use, and that kind of works, but you have to keep a mental note of filling up a days worth of lessons each day.  Also, this Progress tab is not something the Parents login has.  The common view is the Score tab, with the Goals column, and is what we use to know if they have completed their lessons for the day.

If there was a way to add days-off, the Score/Goals counting could accurately reflect how many lessons were needed per week by taking the Required Lessons per week and subtracting 1/5th of that value per day off.

I've also thought about adjusting the Required Lessons per week/per course, for each student over the weekend, but that's really inconvenient and not something that's going to make life easy for me :D 

• Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.59.33 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.44.23 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.47.26 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 1.20.51 PM.png

27 October 2022, 15:09

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for these suggestions, we always appreciate feedback from our parents. 

Power Homeschool is completely self-paced. We do not require students to sign in at specific times and, we make the program available 24/7 year round so that you can set up whatever schedule works best for your student's specific schooling environment.

This enables you to plan breaks and vacations as needed for your student. If they do not log in on a certain day we will assume that you have excused them. The courses will give credit based on mastery of the course material.

For the weekly goal, some parents will have the student do extra on the remaining days to catch up.  Others will just have the student ignore the Friday goal.  It is up to you. There is no penalty for not meeting the weekly goal. 

Starting next Monday, the weekly goals will restart with a fresh set of goals for your student.

You can of course choose the amount of steps in the weekly goal. 

Parent tutorial:   How to adjust my student's weekly goal 

Please do not hesitate to reach back out with any further questions or suggestions on how to improve our program and create a more user friendly experience. 

Sincerely,

PHS Team

2 results