Forums | Power Homeschool

Ask Our Official Support Team /
Special Lessons

Shayla Simpson's profile picture

15 November 2021, 15:59

Hi, we have only just begun doing special lessons, although we started with Power Homeschool in August. It's taken us a while to kind of figure things out and that you could even turn in the special lessons in the first place. Now that we have, I'm having my daughter do some in science to help bring up her grade, however when she turned it in, it didn't grade it and I can't seem to find an option to grade it myself. It gave her a 0% automatically, even though she got all the questions right. How can I fix the grade on this? Is there a way to edit her overall score to accommodate for this incorrect 0%, if there is no way to change the individual assignment grade?

Rochelle James's profile picture

29 November 2021, 10:30

I hope you get an answer, I have been searching for the same.

Shayla Simpson's profile picture

29 November 2021, 15:22

Well I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the lack of attention to this forum. I will share with you what I've been doing in the meantime, but it's less than ideal. I've been manually grading the special lessons, then manually calculating their grades including special lessons, and sending their updated grade to myself in Acellus messages to help me remember it. I suppose one could also make a spreadsheet with Excel or Google to keep track of their grades. I do hope someone will come along and tell me there's a better way!

Shannon Lewien's profile picture

14 December 2021, 16:25

I've been trying to figure out the same thing.  I know that over at Acellus Academy, the students are required to complete the special lessons to get a certificate of completion.

17 December 2021, 13:18

Thank you for contacting us.

Special Lessons are included in many of the courses to engage students in higher-order thinking and address critical areas, such as the development of writing and research skills.  Parent resources are provided with the onsite lessons, including: student handouts, lesson instructions, answer keys, and grading rubrics.

In Power Homeschool the Special Lessons are not counted as part of the grade and are completely optional.  

If you are looking to help your student raise the grade in a course, you may consider retaking any of the Exams with lower scores.  The system will use the last attempt for each step when calculating the class grade.

15 March 2022, 1:45

I just found out that the special lessons can be used for Portfolios. How can I go back and have my child do them if he’s already finished a course?

15 March 2022, 11:43

Great question, Cristi.

A completed course can be added back on to the student's active course list through the parent interface.  This will bring back the remaining Special Lessons.  

Here is a tutorial that might be helpful: Adjusting Courses 

Feel free to reach out to our Support Team directly, if you need further assistance.

Power Homeschool - Contact Us

15 March 2022, 12:54

Thanks!

8 results